Tires are a useful part of any vehicle. Tires also protect the vehicle from road shocks and play an important role during braking.
But sometimes, due to some reason, the outer edge of the vehicle tires wears abnormally, due to which the performance of the vehicle tires is adversely affected. In this post, we will discuss in detail the main reasons and solutions for wear on the outside of the tire.
Tire Wear On The Outside Edge
Often, the tires of vehicles start wearing abnormally. In which the inside or outside edge of the front tire of the vehicle starts wearing. If this problem is ignored for a long time, the affected tires of your vehicle can get badly damaged.
There are many different causes of abnormal wear on the outside or inside edge of any vehicle’s tire. It is necessary to investigate these reasons and fix them.
8 Causes Of Tire Wear On The Outside Edge
The most common causes of tire wear on the outside are misalignment, poor inflation, Improper Tire Rotation, excessive positive camber, worn ball joints, control arm bushings, or other damaged suspension components.
When a vehicle’s tires are overinflated to the level recommended by the manufacturer, your vehicle’s tires will wear out more quickly from the center and less from the edges.
Because the excess air level in the tire affects the condition of the tire and the tire starts rubbing abnormally with the road surface.
Many times the tires of the vehicle are driven for a long distance and for a long time with less air than the proper level, due to which the tires of the vehicle run flat. Due to the low level of air, there is more friction in the tire and the sidewalls of the tire get damaged due to continuous deflation. Due to this, the outer and inner edges of the vehicle tire wear unevenly and faster.
3. Excessive Positive Front Camber
Camber in the front tires of vehicles is an issue of aligning the wheels. Camber allows the vehicle’s front tires to run at the same angle.
Due to the camber out or in of the vehicle, the tires may bend inwards or outwards, which causes the outer edge of the front tires of the vehicle to start wearing abnormally. Or, due to the camber, the tire wears abnormally from the inner side as well.
4. Hard or Dead Brake Habit
Everyone’s vehicle’s braking habit may be different while driving. If you control the vehicle with hard braking continuously for a long period of time, due to which the vehicle stops by dragging the tires.
Then this habit can badly affect the tires of your vehicle. If you use more brakes while cornering or cornering the vehicle at a higher speed, it causes your vehicle’s tire outer edges to wear more quickly.
5. Wrong Tire Rotation
Often, vehicle tire wear is a normal process. because the front tires of the vehicle wear faster due to turns. That’s why tire manufacturers recommend changing the vehicle’s tires for cross-rotation between 15,000 and 25,000 miles so that the tires wear evenly over a long period of time.
But sometimes the cross rotation of the tire is not changed for a long time, due to which the tires of the vehicle start wearing faster than the outer edges.
6. Front Wheel Misalignment
Incorrect alignment of the front tire of the vehicle can also be the main reason behind the wear of the outer edge of the tire. Wheel alignment aligns the front tires of the vehicle, so that the front tires of the vehicle run at the same angle as the tires on both sides when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line, thereby eliminating any additional friction between the tires.
But sometimes, due to the wrong alignment of the vehicle, the front tires wear out more quickly and normally than the outer or inner edges.
7. Damaged Steering System
If parts of your vehicle’s steering system have been damaged, this can also cause wear on the outside or inside edge of your vehicle’s tires.
Because of a poor steering system, the front tires of your vehicle may run at opposite angles to each other while moving in a straight direction, even when the alignment is perfect, causing more friction in the front tires of the vehicle. Therefore, due to a poor steering system, the outer or inner side of the front tire of the vehicle wears unevenly and faster.
8. Damaged Suspension Components
But sometimes parts of the vehicle’s suspension loosen or break, causing the front tires of the vehicle to misalign during motion in a straight direction, which the tire wears faster due to more friction on the outer or inner side.
How To Prevent Tire Wear On The Outside Edge
The first thing you should do to prevent Tire Wear On The Outside Edge is to check for proper tire pressure and front wheel alignment.
- Check The Air Pressure in The Tires: Never drive the car with more air than the proper level because, due to excess air in the tire, the tire wears faster in the middle and the sidewall of the tire also wears less. So keep the air level in the tire proper.
- Check The Wheel Alignment: Be sure to check your vehicle’s tire alignment often, as poorly aligned tires can cause the front tires on most vehicles to wear unevenly and more quickly. Poor tire alignment usually results in damage to the outer or inner walls of the tire.
- Do Not Drive Overloaded: If you drive overloaded for long hours and long distances, there is more friction between your vehicle’s tires and the road surface. Due to overload, air is released from the tire, causing the outer and inner sidewalls of the tire to wear unevenly and more quickly.
- Change Tire Rotation: Over a period of time, vehicle tires often require cross-rotation. This process reduces the uneven wear of the vehicle’s tires. But sometimes vehicle tires are driven for a long time without rotation, which causes the outer edge of the tire to wear out quickly.
- Check The Suspension Components: Often, the cause of your vehicle’s front tire rubbing against the outside or inside edges is a bad or damaged suspension. Because of bad suspension, the alignment of the front tire of the vehicle can be bad, due to which the tires start to wear more. That’s why, from time to time, you should get the suspension of your vehicle checked.
- Check the Steering System: If your vehicle’s steering system parts are damaged, consult your local dealer. So it also causes uneven wear on the outer or inner edge of the tire. Because a bad steering system can damage the condition of the tires in a straight line.
Is It Safe To Drive A Vehicle With Tire Wear On The Outside Edge?
It may not be considered safe to drive a vehicle with abnormal wear on the outer or inner sidewalls of the tire. Because the sidewall of your vehicle’s abnormal tire has started to wear. Then you should not ignore it. You should solve it after checking its causes.
But if the tires of your vehicle have been damaged at high speed, then the use of such tires should be stopped immediately.
Because more damaged tires can burst anytime during the speed and weight of the vehicle, due to which the control and balance of the vehicle can suddenly deteriorate and can cause a major accident.
Therefore, it is a better option to check the tire of the vehicle for abnormal wear, so that the tires of the vehicle can be saved from excessive damage.
Q. Why do my tires wear out?
A. Often, the cause of tire wear on a vehicle’s front tires is poor tire air pressure, front wheel misalignment, or bad suspension components.
Q. Can a tyre be repaired from the outside?
A. No, the repair involves repairing the puncture from outside the tyre. This is considered unsafe because it does not inspect for internal damage to the tyre.
Banty is the owner of Autorepairszone.com & is also a vehicle mechanic by profession. We have almost 12 years of experience in the field of automotive repair, and we strive to provide you with accurate information about vehicle malfunctions and repairs based on our experience.