Power windows not working in vehicles is a common problem, due to which there is a problem going up and down. In older cars, the windows had to be raised or lowered manually. But power windows have been installed in modern vehicles, in which the power window can be raised or lowered as per requirement by pressing a button.
Power windows work on the basis of electrical and regulatory mechanisms. But over time, power window parts in vehicles become worn out, causing power windows to not work or to get stuck when rolled up or down.
Through this article, we will learn in detail about the reasons why power windows are not working.
Why Your Power window Not Working?
If your power window is not working, possible causes could be a faulty window switch, blown fuse, bad window motor, or broken window regulator. Additionally, electrical issues or physical blockages can also be responsible for this problem.
Reasons For Power Window Not Working
- Power Window Fuse Blown
- Damaged Power Window Wiring
- Faulty Power Window Regulator
- Bad Power Window Control Module
- Faulty Window Control Switch
- Extremely Cold Weather
- Faulty Remote Lock System
- Faulty Power Window Relay
- Discharged Or Damaged Battery
Let us know in detail the reasons for the power window not working so that you can solve this problem properly.
1. Power Window Fuse Blown
Vehicles often have separate fuses for different power supplies for each type of electronic function. So that they can be kept safe in case of jamming of wires and electrical components in case of emergency or short circuit of wiring.
If there is any fault in any electrical component or related wire of the car or other vehicles. Then the power fuse gets blown first. Due to this, the power supply stops permanently.
The most common reason for power windows not working is a blown fuse, which should be the first thing to check if the power windows don’t work.
2. Damaged Power Window Wiring
The main component in the working system of every power window is the electric motor and this electric motor is different for each window. In which wiring is used for power supply.
Sometimes the electrical wiring to the power windows can be corroded or broken. It has often been seen that rats or mice enter a vehicle, which can gnaw on or cut any electrical wiring in the vehicle.
This can be a major reason why the wiring gets damaged or cut and damage to or disconnection of the electrical wiring may result in the power window motor not operating. Therefore, one of the reasons why power windows do not work is because of the wiring.
3. Defective Power Window Regulators
The regulator is one of the mechanism parts in power windows, due to which the glass of the window goes up or down. But many times the regulator gets rusted due to long standing of the vehicle or the regulator gets jammed. Also, the power window regulator tends to break due to excessive wear due to old age.
Due to which the power windows do not operate. In this case, the electric motor works, but a bad or broken regulator is unable to raise or lower the window. Therefore, a broken or defective regulator can be one of the main reasons why power windows do not work.
Therefore, in case the power windows do not work, be sure to check the regulator. Note, power windows have separate regulators for each window.
4. Bad Power Window Control Module
The window control module unit is fitted to operate and control the power windows, and it supplies electricity to the electric motor of the power windows to operate them. But sometimes the power window control module unit gets damaged or shorted out.
Because it is an electrical component. Due to this, the supply of power does not reach the electric motor. Due to this, the motor of the power window does not operate. A bad control module unit can also be one of the reasons why power windows do not work.
Therefore, if there is a problem with the power windows, be sure to check the control module unit and if the power window control module unit is bad, replace it with a new one.
5. Faulty Power Window Control Switch
Often, you will notice that modern cars have a control panel on the driver’s window to raise or lower the power windows and the rest of the second window has a single switch to control the power windows.
Thereby the power windows are operated upwards or downwards. But sometimes, due to some reason, some kind of fault occurs in the power window control switch panel or single switch. Due to this, the power windows do not work or it starts running stuck. One of the main reasons why power windows may not work is a faulty control switch panel.
In case of such a problem, check the control switch panel of the power windows. If the control switch panel or single switch of the power windows of your vehicle is defective, then you should get it repaired or replaced with a new one.
6. Extreme Cold Weather
The effect of weather can also be the reason for power windows not working. Typically, the power windows of cars or other vehicles stop working in very cold areas.
In areas where the temperature reaches zero in winter and snow starts freezing or falling, the power windows of cars start freezing or the car gets completely covered with ice.
Due to this, the motor of the power window runs, but due to the regulator being jammed, the regulator of the power window does not run. One reason power windows may not work is because the weather is too cold.
7. Faulty Remote Lock System
In modern cars or other vehicles, the function of power windows is attached to the center locking system. as the driver gets out of the car. The driver can then operate the power windows from the outside with the center lock remote.
But sometimes, due to the fault in the center lock model, the function of the power windows also gets affected. Hence, the power windows do not work due to the defective center lock model.
8. Power Window Relay Malfunction
Electric motors are fitted to each window to operate the power windows. A power relay is installed to provide adequate power supply to the electric motor of all these windows. So that the power cannot be less or more and the power window motor can work properly.
The power relay also protects the electric motor from overheating. But sometimes the power supply to the electric motor of the power windows stops due to a faulty power relay. Due to this, the power window does not work.
9. Discharge or Damage Battery
Power windows in vehicles are powered by 12 V DC current from the battery. But sometimes the power window is unable to work due to the battery being weak or discharged or the power window is going up or down very slowly, caused by the battery Thus, the main reason for the power windows not working can be a weak or discharged battery.
Also, when the battery is completely dead, the power windows will not respond in any way. And no light indication will be lit in the cluster meter of the vehicle.
How To Fix Power Window Not Working
To repair power windows, you must first inspect the cause of the problem in the windows. so that you can know where the problem is coming from in the power window of your vehicle or which part of the power window is bad.
- First of all, you should inspect your vehicle’s battery if the power windows are not working, recharge the battery if the battery is discharged or replace the battery with a new one if it is damaged.
- After this, the reason for the power windows not working could be a blown power fuse. Therefore, to diagnose the problem with the power windows, check the fuse for the power windows in the fuse box. If the power window fuse is blown, replace it with a new one.
- After this, check the wiring of the power window to diagnose the problem of the power window not working, if you find a problem in the wiring somewhere, then repair the wiring.
- In case of non-functioning of power windows of any vehicle, check the power window control switch, if you experience any kind of problem in the power window control switch, then replace the power window control switch with a new one.
- One of the reasons for power windows not working could also be a bad power window relay, in which case you should inspect the relay. If your vehicle’s power window relay is bad, then you can’t replace it either.
- If the power window of your vehicle is stuck in one place. In this situation, check the power window regulator to see if it is broken or jammed. In this case, replace the power window regulator with a new one.
- In the next procedure you check the power window control module for power window not working reasons, if power window control module is not giving output supply to power window motor, in this case repair the power window control module Or replace it with a new one.
- By all these procedures, you can repair the power windows of your vehicle.
Power Window Repair Cost
The cost of power window repair in vehicles depends on the make, model, and number of windows damaged.
In power windows, the control module is the same for all windows, while the power window motor is different for all windows. Power window control modules can cost between $100 and $400.
On average, a single window motor can cost between $60 and $80, and a mechanic’s labor cost for a power window repair can range from $180 to $250.
Q. Could the power windows not work because of a blown fuse?
Yes, a blown fuse can break the power window power supply circuit. Due to this, the power window does not work.
Q. Does each power window have its own fuse?
No, the power window assembly of any vehicle contains the same fuse, relay and control module. All power window motors operate on the same circuit.
Q. Can you manually raise power windows?
Manually rolling up power windows can be a risky operation. Because if you lift the window glass tightly, then the glass of the power window may break. And if you do it with your bare hands, it can be harmful for you.
Banty is the owner of Autorepairszone.com & is also a vehicle mechanic by profession. We have almost 12 years of experience in the field of automotive repair, and we strive to provide you with accurate information about vehicle malfunctions and repairs based on our experience.